Frequently Asked Questions
Summer camp is open to all rising 1st-7th graders
- Camp Blue Ridge runs from 8 AM – 4 PM
- Camp Miller offers a regular day schedule (8 AM-4 PM) OR an extended day option (7:30 AM – 4:30 PM for parent drivers only)
Transportation options: Parents have the option to utilize our shuttle service for morning pickup and afternoon drop off at several locations. This option is selected during the registration process and is available on a first-come basis.
- Camp Blue Ridge shuttle locations:
- Hollymead Elementary (Pick-Up: 7:30 AM | Drop-Off: 4 PM)
- Meriwether Lewis Elementary (Pick-Up: 7:30 AM | Drop-Off: 4 PM)
- NEW UVA location (Pick-Up: 7:15 AM | Drop-Off: 4 PM)
- Camp Miller shuttle location: Pantops (Drop-Off: 7:30 AM | Pick-Up: 4 PM)
Structured camp activities start at 8:30 AM each day, so we ask that parent drivers arrive before then for adequate check-in time.
Biking activities during camp week are only planned for our All Stars group (rising 4th graders and up). Children in our Rising Stars group (rising 1st-3rd graders) are welcome to bring their scooters and helmets to camp but for logistical simplicity, we ask that you please leave their bikes at home.
Yes! All of our shuttles can accommodate bikes (for rising 4th graders and up) and scooters (all children).
- Our Hollymead shuttle can accommodate bikes and scooters on Monday and Tuesday. Campers who choose to bring a bike or scooter and have a last name beginning with A-L may bring them on Monday while those with the last names M-Z may bring them on Tuesday. This schedule ensures there is enough space on the shuttles to accommodate everyone and their gear!
- Our Meriwether Lewis, UVA and Pantops shuttles can accommodate all bikes and scooters on
Note that we will not begin All Stars (rising 4th graders and up) biking activities until Tuesday, to ensure that everyone who wants to can participate. For convenience, all bikes and scooters may remain on campus at Blue Ridge or Miller for the duration of the camp week.
As we plan to head out for water play immediately, we ask that parents please send your child wearing sunscreen and dressed in their swim shorts or wearing a swimsuit under clothing every morning so we can all be ready for fun!
Please view our “Pack List” tab for a complete list of essentials and suggested items
- We will provide a kid-friendly, plant-based lunch (free of dyes, artificial flavors and common allergens) catered by the same awesome restaurant vendors we partner with during our summer camps. Vendors will vary by day but can include Firefly, Botanical, Roots Natural Kitchen and Mezeh. Below is a sample menu of what your child can expect to eat during camp:
- Custom Savory Bowls: BBQ Tofu, rice, sweet potato and assorted veggies
- Pasta Bar: white and red pasta sauce, vegan parmesan, white beans, spinach, broccoli, mixed peppers
- Upside-Down Nachos: brown rice, refried beans, black beans, olives, organic romaine lettuce, bell peppers, carrots, sauteed veggies, cherry tomatoes, hummus, mild pico de gallo sauce and Costco organic corn tortilla chips and homemade vegan brownie bites
- Mediterranean Bowls: Mixed greens, falafel, veggie kofta, couscous, hummus, Turkish salad, cucumbers, carrots, tahini sauce and cilantro dressing
- Nourishing Comfort Food: Vegan mac ‘n cheese with broccoli, baked penne pasta, cooked peas and carrots, make-your-own garden salad
We work to ensure our meals remain free from as many common allergens as possible, but to ensure your child’s safety, we ask that you please reach out to us at Camp4Real@gmail.com to make us aware of your child’s specific needs.
We do our best to provide a wide variety of food items to meet the needs of most children, however, we understand that every child is unique and may not eat everything we serve. We always welcome parents to pack and send optional snack or lunch items that you know your child will enjoy! Be sure to send all refrigerated items in a cooler bag (labeled with your child’s name!) as we will not have access to a refrigerator.
Yes! We have a limited number of full and partial scholarships available. Click here to learn more and apply!
Yes. We offer a risk-free summer camp registration option through cancellation insurance. We get that sometimes plans change and offer parents the option to purchase cancellation insurance – a non-refundable $50 per child, per camp week fee – during registration. Cancellation insurance ensures that you will receive a refund of your unused camp registration fees when you notify us two weeks prior to the start of your registered camp week.
How it Works: With the purchase of cancellation insurance, you have the option to transfer your camp registration to a future 2023 camp week (as space is available) OR receive a full refund for the amount of your registration fees.
What if I need to cancel but I don’t have cancellation insurance? Or what if I have cancellation insurance but notify Camp4Real of my cancellation after the refund deadline has passed?
- Unfortunately, we are unable to offer refunds without the purchase of cancellation insurance or if the cancellation notice is received after our deadline, however, all unused registration fees will be donated forward into our scholarship fund. We are passionate about giving back to our community and our scholarship fund allows us to provide camp resources to underprivileged families in our community who may not otherwise have such an opportunity.
*Note that free transfer of registration or full refund applies if cancellation notice is received two weeks prior to the start of your camp week.
A cornerstone of the Camp4Real experience is to provide a screen-free environment that cultivates positive interpersonal engagement between peers and staff.
For the safety, well-being, and overall enjoyment of all children in attendance — with the exception of emergency or logistical communications with a parent or guardian — we ask that ALL cell phones/electronic devices sent with children remain stowed away for the duration of the event.