Who can participate:
- All children ages 5-12 are welcome!
Will there be shuttle transportation available?
- Camp4Real will run a daily shuttle from North Charlottesville (Hollymead Elementary), Ivy (Meriwether Lewis Elementary), and Crozet (Brownsville Elementary) with an 8 AM pickup and 4 PM drop off time. A limited number of seats will be available to students as an option on a first-come basis, selected during online registration.
What snacks and lunches will be provided?
- We will provide a kid-friendly, plant-based lunch (free of dyes, artificial flavors and common allergens) catered by the same awesome restaurant vendors we partner with during our summer camps. Vendors will vary by day but can include Firefly, Botanical, Roots Natural Kitchen and Mezeh. Below is a sample menu of what your child can expect to eat during camp:
- Custom Savory Bowls: BBQ Tofu, rice, sweet potato and assorted veggies
- Pasta Bar: white and red pasta sauce, vegan parmesan, white beans, spinach, broccoli, mixed peppers
- Upside-Down Nachos: brown rice, refried beans, black beans, olives, organic romaine lettuce, bell peppers, carrots, sauteed veggies, cherry tomatoes, hummus, mild pico de gallo sauce and Costco organic corn tortilla chips and homemade vegan brownie bites
- Mediterranean Bowls: Mixed greens, falafel, veggie kofta, couscous, hummus, Turkish salad, cucumbers, carrots, tahini sauce and cilantro dressing
- Nourishing Comfort Food: Vegan mac ‘n cheese with broccoli, baked penne pasta, cooked peas and carrots, make-your-own garden salad
My child has serious food allergies. Will Camp4Real accommodate?
- We work to ensure our meals remain free from as many common allergens as possible, but to ensure your child’s safety, we ask that you please reach out to us at Camp4Real@gmail.com to make us aware of your child’s specific needs.
My child is a very picky eater. Can I send my own food?
- We do our best to provide a wide variety of food items to meet the needs of most children, however, we understand that every child is unique and may not eat everything we serve. We always welcome parents to pack and send optional snack or lunch items that you know your child will enjoy! Be sure to send all refrigerated items in a cooler bag (labeled with your child’s name!) as we will not have access to a refrigerator.
What items should my child bring with them?
- Please view our “Pack List” tab for a complete list of essentials
Do you offer a refund for cancellations?
- Yes, with the use of cancellation insurance. We get that sometimes plans change or unexpected illness can occur and offer parents the option to purchase cancellation insurance at the time of camp registration. Cancellation insurance ensures that you will receive a refund of your unused camp registration fees, when you notify us by 5 PM on Dec. 24.
What if I need to cancel but I don’t have cancellation insurance? Or what if I have cancellation insurance but notify Camp4Real of my cancellation after the Dec. 24 deadline?
- Unfortunately, we are unable to offer refunds without the purchase of cancellation insurance or if the cancellation notice is received after our Dec. 24 deadline, however, all unused registration fees will be donated forward into our scholarship fund. We are passionate about giving back to our community and our scholarship fund allows us to provide camp resources to underprivileged families in our community who may not otherwise have such an opportunity.
What is your policy on children and technology use at camp?
- A cornerstone of the Camp4Real experience is to provide a screen-free environment that cultivates positive interpersonal engagement between peers and staff.
For the safety, well-being and overall enjoyment of all children in attendance — with the exception of emergency or logistical communications with a parent or guardian — we ask that ALL cell phones/electronic devices sent with children remain stowed away for the duration of the event.